As an avid fan of Calvin and Hobbes, I felt I need to make my own personal tribute to one of the most poignant comic strips ever created. Bill Watterson influenced my life in many ways (some subtle, some no so subtle) and I take comfort in knowing his work (lovingly recreated) hangs above my bed.
I already had the T-Rex painting done from a couple of years ago. I hand painted it and tried to keep as much attention to detail as I could. But after hanging on a plain white wall for years, I felt it needed a boost.
After first measuring my entire wall and bed headboard, I created a document size in Illustrator the same size as the wall and placed the headboard in the appropriate position. After that I spent some time getting the wood to have that perfect look, feel, and position.
After slicing up the wall, I measured each piece in Illustrator and labeled it with a letter. This allowed me to easily keep track of each piece.I used a thicker picket fencing from Home Depot for the wall. Each piece of wood is about 6 ft long so I had to slice up the accent wall into cuttable pieces. Fun side not: each piece of wood was only a little over $1. I didn’t have to buy more than 15 pieces.After slicing up the wall, I measured each piece in Illustrator and labeled it with a letter. This allowed me to easily keep track of each piece.Every piece cut and labeled.A labeled piece for easy reference.I didn’t get many photos of the process of assembling all the pieces. It was a two day ordeal. Since I was using cheap wood, a lot of pieces were imperfect. This meant there were a lot of modifications as I tried to replace warped wood. This is why if you look at the original design and the final product, there are noticeable differences.At this point, I had to drag the piece outside onto the porch to stain it. An ordeal I also failed to get photos of. It didn’t take long to stain either. A hearty mix of stain and thinner applied liberally only took an afternoon to stain and 48 hours to fully dry.Now here’s the tricky part: getting the damn thing up without any help. What can I say, I’m a lone wolf. This wasn’t as hard as you might think. The trick was finding the top left most pivot point of the piece that goes into a stud. After I secured that one screw (with a level attached) I was able to swing the piece up to secure it with another screw on the opposite side. After which, it was just a matter or replacing original screws with longer ones that securing it to the studs in the wall. For anyone wondering I did not keep track of which screws are wall screws. So when I eventually move out (whenever that is) this will be an incredible pain in the ass to take down.The finished product finally completed. Such a labor of love and so many possibilities. I am very happy with the end result. I’m considering buying old looking front porch lanterns from Home Depot and putting them on either side.